Sidetracks is a collaborative project featuring various essays, videos, reviews, or other Internet content that we want to share with each other. All past and current links for the Sidetracks project can be found in our Sidetracks tag. For more links and commentary you can follow us on Twitter, Tumblr. You can also support us on Patreon.
1. Please read this story about a real life gay WWII love story, told in letters, which will soon be published for the world to see.
2. The Booksmugglers revealed the UK cover for A Blade So Black by L. L. Mckinney & I am into it
3. Harvill Secker has launched a new crime prize searching for a debut author from a BAME background.
4. There's going to be a sequel to Cindy Pon's Want called Ruse. Here's cover. Ffs can a UK publisher please pick these up now?
5. Rani Park and Ali Wong to star in Always Be My Maybe; a romcom about estranged childhood sweethearts!!! This film will also feature Keanu Reeves!
6. A new poster for How To Train Your Dragon 3 was recently released, and it depicts what appears to be a female nightfury. Here's a detailed write-up of why the creature design is not at all reasonable from a biological perspective. It's an excellent rant, and I learned a lot about sexual dimorphism and animal coloring for camoflauge. I'm still excited for this movie but come on.
7. When fandoms collide, three sportswriters conduct a draft to create fictional baseball teams out of MCU superheroes. The number one pick isn't who I would have expected, but it makes a wicked sort of sense.
8. Here's a wonderful profile of one of my favorite podcasts, Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men, with a focus on how Jay and Miles don't shy away from the political themes of the series.
9. A robotics expert takes a look at the science of John Scalzi's Lock In and Head On, particularly the use of robots for telecommuting -- a real thing that is actually happening in the world right now. (The science of integrator use comes in for more skepticism.)
10. Author Marissa Lindgren offers a list of suggested icebreaker questions to aid in striking up conversations with strangers at a convention.
11. E3 presentations have started, so as always I have been checking out games that I'm never gonna play!
- KINGDOM HEARTS III HAS A RELEASE DATE AND I AM SO HYPE! It looks like it's going to actually incorporate all of the plot from all of the spin-off games, which is going to be wild. (And now I have what, six months to get up to date?)
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey is coming out and Kassandra, oh wow. I haven't played very much of the Assassin's Creed franchise, but I am absolutely here for a queer mercenary kicking arse across Ancient Greece.
- Sea of Solitude looks so good and creepy! A story about loneliness turning people into monsters sounds fascinating.
- All I ask from a Spiderman game is that it let me do ridiculous flips and websling across a city, and look! Almost exactly what I asked for!
- I was really excited about the original trailer for Cyberpunk 2077, because it implied a kinda cool cyberpunk world and an interesting story, and I could find nothing else about it for five years. The new trailer is just... Generic and disappointing, really? Apparently it's gonna be a first-person open world game, and you will be able to play a female character? But I'm not sure about it anymore.