Sidetracks is a collaborative project featuring various essays, videos, reviews, or other Internet content that we want to share with each other. All past and current links for the Sidetracks project can be found in our Sidetracks tag. For more links and commentary you can follow us on Twitter, Tumblr. You can also support us on Patreon.
1. Wonder Woman is now the highest grossing DCEU movie. It’s almost as if it’s the best and most accessible DCEU movie...
2. This review of Transformers: Last Night (i.e. Michael Bay's Transformers/King Arthur fanfiction) is a snarky delight.
3. Michelle Rodriguez has threatened to quit The Fast & The Furious franchise if its female characters aren't given more to do. A film series that's done so well at racially diverse casting should absolutely be able to do better by its women actors, and I hope the powers that be take notice.
4. Author Daniel Price shares this article on how feminist critique made him a better writer. I haven't read his work, so I can't speak to the quality of his work either before or after, but it's always heartening to see someone take criticism seriously and use it to improve.
5. I recently discovered Ann Leckie's analogy of "the restaurant that doesn't punch you in the face" and found it very helpful.
6. Falling face first into the Steam sale reminded me that I haven't watched any of the E3 trailers, so I promptly faceplanted into those as well! The highlights of both:
7. The Sexy Brutale is a murder mystery where you know (mostly) whodunnit, the trick is working out how to stop them when you can't interact with anyone.
8. In "Oh no, that looks absolutely terrifying" news: Oxenfree!
9. Abzû is a little like Journey but underwater, and the trailer is just so soothing.
10. Long Live The Queen is a game that is mainly about trying to keep their heir to the throne alive long enough to actually be crowned queen, and this trailer is actually a pretty good run of my first few playthroughs. >_>
11. So, if someone made a Phoenix Wright/Hatoful Boyfriend crossover AU and set it in nineteenth century France, I would expect it to look exactly like Aviary Attorney.
12. The Fall is really unsettling. I don't know whether the idea of trying to take an injured passenger to safety when no one will help you or being trapped and dying into a robot suit that's moving your body for you is more nightmarish. (I have heard the gameplay's a little ropey on this one though, I've not played it.)
13. I have been excited about Uncharted: The Lost Legacy since it was first announced, and now there's another trailer! *kicks feet excitedly* I am ridiculously happy about Chloe being the lead in her own game, especially as someone is actually mentioning that treasure hunting actually has moral and ethical problems attached! (... Okay, it looks like he's the antagonist, but still!)
14. I genuinely do not care about Spiderman in 99% of formats, but videogame Spiderman gets me where I live, oh no. This one looks like it's got all of the swinging around town that I could wish for!
15. I don't need another copy of Shadow of the Colossus, but I could cry watching the trailer for the PS4 remaster.
16. Dishonoured is one of those games that I am utterly terrible at (I can just about manage first person or stealth, I can't do both), but the trailer for Death of the Outsider looks so good.